This is part of the Patterns of Enterprise Deployment series.
- always works; even if you have to craft a special hack on your laptop when the power is off in the server room
- little or no control, auditability, repeatability
- development machines are not the place to make clean builds
- When the developer leaves the project or their box blows up, then deployment is difficult
- you don’t need anything else and you are working on an uncontrolled or or pre-alpha prototype project
- all the work is done on one machine
- When you are creating a real system, even for version 1.0